Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Chuck Gadd

Default cloudy planted tank

On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 20:16:05 GMT, "kush"
wrote:

Not clear on that, Chuck... ammonium nitrite nitrate, right? Assuming a

Yes, ammonia-nitrite-nitrate.

So yes, the ammonia will eventually be converted to nitrate.

The presence of nitrates is symptomatic of an algae bloom but not the cause
of it. If there is more ammonium present than the plants can use, the

In my experience, nitrate level itself is un-related to an algae
bloom.

In my tank, the rate of nitrogen production is higher than the plants
can use, so the nitrate level in my tank constantly rises. But,
because of the massive biological filtration capacity of a wet/dry
filter, the ammonia is converted QUICKLY into nitrite/nitrate.

In my 10g quarentine tank, with no fish in it, if I add lots of KNO3,
to get a nitrate level of 50ppm, I get no algae bloom except for an
increase in green-spot algae on the glass. I've held the nitrate
level steady at 50+ for over a week testing this. If do a 100% water
change, and then add enough ammonia to reach 10ppm ammonia, I'll have
algae soup in just a day or two.

Algae seems to be able to utilize ammonia MUCH more efficiently than
it does nitrate.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua