Old 15-01-2011, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Bill Alexander Bill Alexander is offline

Default Yellow backed bird

?

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news

"harry" wrote in message
On Jan 13, 9:52 am, "'Mike'" wrote:
Opened the front door just now and startled a bird on the lawn opposite.

Flew AWAY from me and I could only see its back. Blackbird size, dark
wings,
but a very vivid yellow back.

Looked in the bird book and the nearest I could see was the Golden
Oriole
but reading its habit I don't see how it could be.

South East Coast Isle of Wight

Any suggestions?

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Green woodpecker? They look a bit yellow in some lighting.
.................................................. .........................

Thanks Harry, but I don't think it was that big, but I do know there are
Woodpeckers in the woods at the front and the back. I will go for the
Grey Wagtail and watch to see if it turns up again. Thanks again.

Mike

If it weas a grey wagtail you surely would have noticed the bit that gives
it its name - a longish tail.

I'd be interested to know what you really did see.

BIll

It took me by surprise when I opened the door and it was off in a flash. I
was so impressed, if that is the right word, by the vivid yellow that I
didn't take toooooooo much notice of detail except that it was 'about the
size' of a Blackbird and its flight pattern was about the same.

I put some seed down on the path between the lawns hoping it would come
back, but all I got was a trio of Pigeons cleaning up :-((

I do have my camera ready ........ 'if' ;-}

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

I hope it is a Golden Oriole , absolutely love them, especially that
wonderful song. And I would say it is a good description of one.
Believe it or not I still remember where I heard and saw my last Golden
Oriole. And of course my photo wotsit memory is legend.
The Swedish name is Somargylling which does not really endorse my "expect
the unexpected", but wouldn't it be luvverly :-)
Bill....