Old 16-01-2011, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning Monkey Puzzle Tree

On 15/01/2011 14:46, Peter wrote:
I have a Monkey Puzzle tree that is now blocking a path. When is the
right time of year to prune it and is there anything I need to know?
Thanks

My favourite conifer. BUT it has an unfortunate habit of shedding its
dead branches without warning. How many Monkey Puzzles more than, say,
a dozen metres in height have you seen without bare trunks to several
metres? A Monkey Puzzle overhanging a path is not a good idea.

Cutting the lower branches off can be done, but I'm not sure the tree
will look right!

--

Jeff