Old 16-01-2011, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Pruning Monkey Puzzle Tree

On Jan 15, 3:46*pm, "Peter" wrote:
I have a Monkey Puzzle tree that is now blocking a path. *When is the right
time of year to prune it and is there anything I need to know?
Thanks

As others have said, your options are limited.
And you need a hardy pair of gloves and a couple of layers of
clothing, preferably, something with a hood, or, is you've got no
protective glasses..; a peaked cap (if that's the right term for a
baseball cap style item)
In the event that you wish to remove dead branches at a height that
entails going up a ladder, I suggest you also take a draw-hoe up with
you; use this to shove the dead branch upwards.. that'll cause it to
snap, and then you can pull it downward.
having such a hoe (not a Dutch hoe) will afford you far greater reach
and the fact that you can dislodge branches from a bit if a distance
away from you will reduce the amount of bird shit and armour-plated
"leaves" that the would otherwise engulf you.