Old 16-01-2011, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cyclamen silver mixed

In article ,
Darkside wrote:

What's your soil like? I think that is more important to hardy Cyclamen
than details of moisture and cover. C purpurascens is a limestone plant
so if you have an acid soil it won't like you. I'm afraid the others
aren't in my wild flower book!

Grrk. I don't think that's it for any cyclamen. I have seen them
growing happily in the mould under an ancient fir tree, and I am
pretty sure that was very acid. What I think that most of them
need is drainage which, in the UK, is correlated with alkalinity.

C. purpurascens may be an exception, but I suspect not. However,
I don't know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.