Old 16-01-2011, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Compost bins

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:26:11 +0000 (GMT), wrote:

My daughter is moving into a house, and we are trying to encourage
her to use a compost bin. That will be for kitchen waste for
1-2 people, possibly plus grass cuttings from 50 square yards of
grass. I have no experience of such things, so any comments would
be welcomed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Kitchen waste from a 2-person familiy (remember that meat waste
doesn't go in a compost bin) isn't on its own going to sustain 50
square yards of grass cuttings in the summer. You need a balance or
you'll end up with simple smelly mush. What's the compost product
destined for? Your daughter will need borders or a veg patch to use
the compost she generates. Does the new place have these or will they
be created?

Have you thought about a wormery? That can take meat waste as well as
vegetable waste and produces a liquid feed that's second to none
(provided, again, there is somewhere to use it).

Cheers
Jake