Old 17-01-2011, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
ddfc ddfc is offline

Default Yellow backed bird

I lived many years in the Isle of Wight and remember there were many green
woodpeckers at Osborne House - easily seen from the car park out over the
grass. When I was a coach driver in 1985, I once took a party of twitchers
there at their request as they said Osborne was well known for green
woodpeckers. There were loads there then. Hopefully there, you should be
able to say yeah or nay to what you saw.

Richard

"Bill Alexander" wrote in message
?

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news

"harry" wrote in message
On Jan 13, 9:52 am, "'Mike'" wrote:
Opened the front door just now and startled a bird on the lawn
opposite.

Flew AWAY from me and I could only see its back. Blackbird size, dark
wings,
but a very vivid yellow back.

Looked in the bird book and the nearest I could see was the Golden
Oriole
but reading its habit I don't see how it could be.

South East Coast Isle of Wight

Any suggestions?

Mike

/snip