Old 18-01-2011, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Compost bins

Too many people worry too much about getting the perfect mix.

FWIW, I agree. and ...

... just empty it out and mix it up a bit before putting it back in

the bin.

Yes: ideally you have (at least) two bins: you use one for ageing
compost, and one for the new stuff. Every few months you empty out the
ageing stuff, and hopefully find some good compost at the bottom; that
goes on the garden; the rest goes back in the bin; then you empty the
newer stuff out of the other bin, and fork it all into the "ageing
compost" bin. That stuff then rots away for another few months, while
you put your new stuff into the now-empty "new stuff" bin.

And I have found (after decades of trying all sorts of home-made bins)
that the dalek bins are very effective, are tidy (unlike my home-made
pallet-built affairs!), and have the *great* advantage that to empty it,
you just lift the bugger up, instead of having to fork stuff out!

If I had a bigger garden, I would always have opted for ... a compost
heap! That is, just a big heap, into which you dig for compost every
few months. This is what you see the TV gardeners have (Carol has one,
Monty has one). My Dad used to have a proper heap too: it was great.

Finally: it's the process of shifting it about every few months which is
most important, IMHO. I've recently seen that the (disgusting) idea of
weeing on it has recently been dissed as a myth; I don't know about
that, but what is important is to keep it damp, so I water mine, each
time I have turned it all over.

John
BSc in Compost Making (scraped a 3rd)