Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Yield

Default Amazon Swords

Actually, "Amazon Swords" are not true aquatic plants in the first place.
While regiments of iron and fertilizer and good lighting will prolong their
life, they actually don't do well completely submerged. In their native
environment these plants are accustomed to being submerged during the flood
season, but this never lasts for more than a few months.

As a result, after a period of time (months usually) they will begin to look
unhealthy (yellowing, etc) and eventually die out completely. Remember,
just because your LFS sells them, it doesn't mean all plants are good for
aquarium use!

You would probably be better in the longrun to go with some true aquatic
plants. Check out the site here for more information:
http://www.trueaquariumplants.com/info.asp

"Martin A. Gross" wrote in message
m...
I have a very heavily planted 20 gallon high aquarium with deminsions
24Lx12Wx16H with 30 watts of lighting - a 15 watt Nutrigrow and a 15 watt
AquaGlow full spectrum bulbs. Plants include Amazon Swords, Green

Foxtail,
Green Hygophila, Sunset Hygrophila, and Java Moss. All is well with the
plants except the amazon swords whose leaves are elongated,

greenish-yellow
and are transparent in places. I am guessing this means they are needing

nutrient added to the water. Any suggestions?

Martin