Old 18-01-2011, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bud Bud is offline

Default Hello From italy

On 2011-01-18, Abruzzo Clive wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and also to gardening! I wish my old dad were here
to advise me, he had extremely green thumbs!

I live with my wife in central Italy and after seven years we are
finally in a position to turn our attention to the garden.

At the moment the nights are clear and the temperature drops to well
below zero; it was -14°C a few nights ago. Just now in the sunshine it's
around 17°C. During the summer months the mid-day temperature can hit
42°C which is hot even for me!

Wow, the temp sure varies. How is it in the summer, the lows mostly? I
don't think that roses would survive the winters. I can be wrong. Do a
search on Google for some perineals that would.

The question is what would folks recommend for bedding plants - I am
about to start creating rockeries etc., (the garden contains a number of
slopes).

Can you make some terraces? That would keep the water from washing out
your hard work. I assume you have rocky soil.

Over the years we've found that Ice Plants are the best at surviving the
summer heat but I don't want to have a garden full of Ice plants!

The garden faces south East.

I'm thinking along the lines of growing from seed - is that the most
economical approach?

What do you want to grow?

Any help would be very gratefully received.

I'm sure you will receive lots.
--
Bud