Old 19-01-2011, 03:30 AM
uriel13 uriel13 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abruzzo Clive View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and also to gardening! I wish my old dad were here to advise me, he had extremely green thumbs!

I live with my wife in central Italy and after seven years we are finally in a position to turn our attention to the garden.

At the moment the nights are clear and the temperature drops to well below zero; it was -14°C a few nights ago. Just now in the sunshine it's around 17°C. During the summer months the mid-day temperature can hit 42°C which is hot even for me!

The question is what would folks recommend for bedding plants - I am about to start creating rockeries etc., (the garden contains a number of slopes).

Over the years we've found that Ice Plants are the best at surviving the summer heat but I don't want to have a garden full of Ice plants!

The garden faces south East.

I'm thinking along the lines of growing from seed - is that the most economical approach?

Any help would be very gratefully received.
Hi Abruzzo,

A lot depends on how long you are prepared to wait to get results, growing from seed allows you to select only the strongest seedlings for planting out. However this method requires that you are prepared to wait to see the end results.

Not knowing your financial status you may want to cultivate your own food to offset ever rising food costs. It would be advisable to download a crop rotation plan if you wish to cultivate your own food.

In this world of ever diminishing oil resources it may well be that you should acquaint yourself with the methods of cultivating crops. It is said that 2012 is the year when the world begins using more oil than is being produced.

The geographic location of your house would suggest that it would be good for the purpose of planting crops. There are many sites which you can access online, however it is up to plan for the future that you see unfolding.

uriel13

The mind is like a parachute it is totally useless unless its open