Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Bruce Geist

Default gravel or sand?

What are the small forground plants? I
like those

Those are chain swords, Echinodorus tenellus. There actually not doing so
well right now. I just added some plant tabs to the substrate below these
plants. I hope they will pep up. I thinned them rather dramitically
recently, and they have not yet recovered.

I inject CO2, have 385 watts of CF lighting, an Eheim filter (2028).

what are your stats with that tank? lighting? co2? flourite substrate of
course

Dustin

"Bruce Geist" wrote in message
I agree with Leigh's recommendation. I would use it straight, and I

might
order more than what you have described--enough to put about 2.5 inches

of
the stuff down-- say have a *minimum* of 2 inches up front and gradually
slope it to 3 to 3.5 inches in the rear of the tank. Its nice looking
stuff-- take a look at
http://hometown.aol.com/brucekgeist/...e/profile.html
to see an example. (This was a sneaky way to put my pics in the ether
again.. ) Are you gonna create elevated regions of the tank? You

may
want some extra substrate for terracing..

Also, I warn you up front, Flourite is a pain to rinse. You will need

get some window screening or similar thing to rinse the stuff with a

hose.
I have spent 30 to 40 minutes per bag rinsing. If you don't rinse
thoroughly, you will have a mess in your tank.

-Bruce

"LeighMo" wrote in message
So I ordered enough for a 1 1/2 inch layer on the bottom - in your

opinion
what should i put above it? sand or gravel or both?

I would just use it straight. If you want to put something on top of

it,
suit
yourself. On the one hand, fine gravel/sand is generally better for

plants.
On the other hand, Flourite is more likely to stay under gravel than

sand.
Fines tend to settle down, while large particles tend to "float" up.

(Which is
why there are always new rocks in a plowed field, even though the

farmer
removes them every year.) So it might be easier to keep the Flourite

under
gravel. (Flourite is very light.)

Leigh