Old 19-01-2011, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pergola dilema...

In article ,
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:

You will find tanalised posts and metal bottoms a waste of time and money
over the medium term

Would you care to expand on that a little? I suppose it must be
true that, up to the point when they rot, you have saved money.
How long do you estimate the medium term to be?

Chris

I would say that it is a toss up whether the the metal post bottoms rust
out or the posts rot before 10 years are up I had replaced the 4x4"
tanalised wood posts on my large pergola 3 times in 27 years before I
gave up and built masonary posts with reinforced concrete cores
I know I live on the wetter side of the UK but the disruption to the
garden at each rebuild was very annoying and it worked out a lot cheaper
to build masonary in the end for the size of the posts

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk