Old 19-01-2011, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Evergreen Roses

In article , says...
In article ,
Dave Hill wrote:

I always thought that Roses would shed their leaves in winter, but we
had one of the dwarf pot grown ones from Teaco in October, I put it
outside late November, and despite the very heavy frosts, and being
under several inches of snow it still has all its leaves, no sign of
dammage.

Many plants are conditionally evergreen, and drop their leaves only
in severe winters: privet, Japanese honeysuckle and some roses are
among them. Some do that only at -15 or -20 Celsius.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Most of the wichuriana and sempervirens type ramblers keep theirs not
always a good thing as it helps disease survive from one year to the next
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk