Old 19-01-2011, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default con or a scam?

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 7:13 pm, hugh ] wrote:

Thanks for this; although I'm in the American colonies, I once had a
Saab
V-4 which was equipped with a Lucas alternator. Which failed, teaching
me
that the Lucas end of the mounting bracket had "English" hardware,
whereas
the German engine end was metric.

You should worry, my 1986 Landrover uses both Metric and Imperial sizes
of bolts etc, and considering it's age there is no way of knowing which
is which. I find a grinder to be a good nut removal tool.

I think one of the best was a shower I looked at, it was Metric input
and imperial output.

Anyone who can't convert metric to imperial and vice versa in their
head needs to go back to an old-fashioned school :-)

Back in the days of Imperial/metric changeover, I need some timber for the
roof of a shed. I wanted something like 12ft lenghts, but was told I had
buy it in metric size which I think was 4 m. When I paid for the timber I
ws charged at then then cost of so much per foot!

"BACK in the days"? We are still in them :-)

Timber is STILL sold by the metric foot, which is 30 cm. You would
have got 4.2 metres, unless you said that 3.9 was acceptable.

Sheets of plywood are still sold at 8 ft by 4 ft, although they are shown as
metric!

Alan

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.