Old 20-01-2011, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Leaves, beneficial or not?

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jan 19, 7:17 am, wrote:
coykiesaol writes:
I have been scraping up all the leaves in the garden (very large
garden, unbelievable amount of leaves!!) Was wondering if having
dumped a load of them on the veg patch for mixing in with horse
manure when they are rotted down whether this will be beneficial or
detrimental to the health (growth) of veggies next year??

Yes.

Also, does anyone have a leaf blower and can they recommend them or
not. Especially when the leaves are wet on grass??

Leaf blowers come in 3 main categories:

Electric - Near useless, only for small amounts of leaves. Won't move
wet leaves.

Backpack 2 cycle gas - This is what I have. Good for up to an acre.
Wet doesn't matter.

Walk behind gas - What pros use, as big as a lawnmower clears large
amounts of leaves in a hurry. You may still need a backpack blower
for certain areas.

So for a homeowner with a lot of leaves, go with a backpack gas
powered blower.

Some communities, like mine, have outlawed gas powered blowers. Even
if the gardener gets caught, homeowner pays ticket.

Just out of morbid curiosity, why?