Old 20-01-2011, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Thos Thos is offline

Default zone 5, what to do with south side house?

Okra.
It loves heat. Once they start producing you will probably have to harvest
every day. 5 or 6 plants will likely produce more than you can eat.

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
The south side of our house is the exterior wall of our garage. There
are no windows, and the edge of the property line is too close to put a
lean to greenhouse or anything like that on there. Last year I tried
establishing a blueberry hedge up pretty close to the house there. I used
peat, coffee grounds, a small amount of aluminum sulfate mixed in to the
soil, plus a slow release acidifier. (soil is rather alkaline here) I
tried watering every day, but there was simply no rain for a couple of
months, and it was so hot and dry. Only 1 or 2 plants made it out of 6 or
7. I am going to take the healthiest plant and put it in a pot. This is
actually the first time I've tried growing blueberries and had one live
more than 6 months. However, I think that spot would be better used for
something else.

Can anyone suggest something that is heat and light loving, which could
be productive in such a spot? It will essentially get direct sunlight all
day long, and the spot can really concentrate heat from the sun in spring
and fall. Thanks!