Old 20-01-2011, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default zone 5, what to do with south side house?

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:37:11 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
wrote:

"Thos" wrote:
Okra.
It loves heat. Once they start producing you will probably have to harvest
every day. 5 or 6 plants will likely produce more than you can eat.

Okra for zone 5 ?

I'm in a warm zone 5 [NY] & never had any luck with Okra. Maybe
one or two pods per plant. Just enough to remind me what I was
missing out on. OTOH- I wasn't planting along the hot side of a
building.

My house is mostly shaded on the south so I have Hostas & such on that
side.

-snip-

Perhaps a variety of herbal plants. Rosemary, thyme, mint (put a hollow
bottom bucket in the ground for mint. Herbs can act like weeds if not
watchful. Camomile?

If I were the OP I'd stick with fruits- maybe plant the herbs amongst
them as they grow.

Blueberries, cherries, . . . peaches . . . Almond trees are gorgeous
in the spring and feed the squirrels in the fall. [mine did- I used to
get a quart of nuts- the squirrels got a bushel]

South side is a lot easier than the north side.

Jim