Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Jim Miller

Default Eclipse hood questions

I've found two problems with the SystemX products. The first is the amount
of light and the second is its distribution.

The lamps provided are too low wattage for vigorous growth although low
light plants used thoughtfully can create a nice aquarium. I've been able to
put AHS reflectors and lamps in the System3 and they just barely fit.
Similar lamps and reflectors should fit fine in the larger SystemX hoods.

The other problem is distribution of the light. The filter assembly lowers
the amount of light that makes it to the rear and plants tend to tilt
abnormally toward the front as a result. The AHS reflectors help somewhat
since they do a pretty good job of distributing the light. You can always
select your background plants for lower light requirements but it will be
somewhat limiting.

good luck

jtm

--