Old 20-01-2011, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default old philadelphus

In article , MacCavity
writes
If I hack it back now am I doing more harm than good?

I lop everything that's flowered off after flowering time but find that
it doesn't grow too much until April and then flowers on growth it puts
on just before it flowers. So I personally would hack it about now. Mind
you if you need to take off a lot then maybe do a third now and then a
third after flowering or half so you don't shock the poor thing too
much. i keep Belle Etoile commonly a zonking great thing, to a nice tidy
five feet and fairly compact next to the front door.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph