Old 21-01-2011, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
fran fran is offline

Default Pruning Rose Bushes

Normally, I'd wait until just before the time the leaf bud appear
(late-Feb in NC), but with the weather we've had this year - I did at
New Years when the forecasters threatened ice.

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:11:41 +0000, northwards
wrote:

coykiesaol;910413 Wrote:
I have four rose bushes,( not climbers) which have finally finished
flowering. Can I prune them now or due to the sudden harsh weather
should I wait until spring? I would like to prune now if possible as
they will look a lot tidier Laughing
Thanks

I suppose it depends on where you are and how bad the remaining winter
will be. If you prune now and then there's a hard frost, you may get
die-back on some branches. Personally I would wait until February or so.
If they're really annoying you, or if there's danger of wind-rock or
something like that, then you could always cut back a few branches now -
just removing part of them - and then wait until later to do the proper
pruning