Old 20-01-2011, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default zone 5, what to do with south side house?

Nad R wrote:
Doug Freyburger wrote:

I like to grow herbs in pots on the deck. They grow great. Most don't
survive the winter. So far I've never gotten a rosemary to make it
through the Chicago winter. I have transfered plenty of herbs from the
pots on the deck to the southern edge of my back yard. The thyme and
the tarragon are the only ones that survived across the winter so far.
The thyme lasted two years before it got overwhelmed by the size of the
tarragon.

It was a thought that the garage might offer some protection for the
Rosemary. I too have been unsuccessful at growing Rosemary. Herbs can get
away from you

I get a little rosemary plant each spring since we moved to (zone 5)
Chicago metro. They get pretty big by the first snow. Then they croak.
Each year I try to trim it back and keep it on the deck out of the snow
but some storm tips it over and spills it out.

Would that be the "French" Tarragon via cutting?
Or the Russian Tarragon via seed?

I'm not sure which type of tarragon it was that has done so well out in
the back yard with the hostas. Home Depot bred tarragon. Draws bees
like crazy late in the season when it's in flower.