Old 20-01-2011, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default zone 5, what to do with south side house?

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Nad R wrote:

Would that be the "French" Tarragon via cutting?
Or the Russian Tarragon via seed?

I find French tarragon too fiddly, it likes excellent drainage and in my
hands it dies at the drop of a hat. I don't think my climate (hot often
damp summer) and soil (heavy) are suitable. If your climate and soil are
more mediterranean it may be easier to grow. Russian tarragon grows more
easily but has little flavour.

I find a good compromise is winter tarragon (Tagetes lucinda). The flavour
is nearly as good as French and it is much easier to grow. I don't know why
it is called "winter" tarragon as it dies down in winter but reliably
re-shoots from the roots in spring. You can harvest it fresh from spring to
autumn and dry a bunch picked before the first frost in autumn.

David

Thought you were a zone 9, which is about as Mediterranean as there is.
--
- Billy
“When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.”