Old 20-01-2011, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default No Discussion - Just a Must Do.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 19:38:46 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Pete
writes
We have to start caring for this world and stop throwing it away.
Discarding perfectly edible fish just to satisfy beaurocratic
expediency is stupid,
cruel and wasteful and we should stop it now. I completely support
Hugh’s campaign and hope you will too."

Yes but on the other hand if we allowed fisherman to sell ALL that they
caught isn't there a danger too that they will go out and gather
anything that swims?

Not sure how you would stop that. I just thought that allowances MIGHT
just put some stop to overfishing.

The alternative view advocated on HFW's prog was to limit the number
of days' fishing rather than the weight of a given species landed.

The system they use in Norway convinced me when I heard about iit
(last year?), but I can no longer remember how it worked -- I'm sure
brains less scattered than mine are present, though. I do remember
that dumping wasn't allowed at all: any fish caught had to be landed,
but there was some kind of penalty involved. Maybe you have to be a
Norseman to understand it!

--
Mike.