Old 21-01-2011, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Best item to sharpen secateurs /pruners

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article
, Dave
Hill writes
I realy don't know, like you I am thinking about buying, but I
wouldn't go for very fine for garden use

Three diamond grits are available.Medium (400 grit) for fast
sharpening where a high finish quality is required .Fine ( 600 grit)
that has the ability to sharpen a dull knife in less than a minute and
bring the edge to a razor sharp finish.

Might go for fine then!
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association

I don't wish to confuse this issue, but just to point out that the diamond
sharpeners I have are DTM and are the Red sharpener (Fine) and the Blue
sharpner (Coarse). It seems the package has space for two sharpeners but
the blurb mentions a Green sharpener (very Fine) !

This suggests that the last one (Green) is not a generally required item. I
can't compare the grit sizes with those quoted by Dave as these are
referred to as Red - 25 micron, and Blue 45 micron !

Best wishes,

Bill