Old 22-01-2011, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DogDiesel DogDiesel is offline

Default New garden tools.

"Nad R" wrote in message
"DogDiesel" wrote:
Hello,
I've ordered a soil test kit and a Stirrup hoe. I bought a rake, I've
yet
to setup my compost bin.

I'm trying to figure whats better for turning soil about a foot down.
The top 6 inches or so have been tilled . Underneath is hard packed.
Should I get a digging fork , broadfork, or a shovel. I don't want to
break
the tool. I saw narrow long shovels in Home Depot today.

Thanks Diesel.

Pointy Shovel for turning soil a foot deep.
Transfer Shovel for moving soil or finished compost.
Garden rake with a one side that is flat for leveling soil.
Six or more prong Manure forks are best for turning a compost pile.
Broad fork is a luxury item if you have lots of soil to turn that is
already loose.
A "half moon" edging tool is a nice tool for creating a nice sharp looking
boarder.

As for breaking tools I find wood is worse. I prefer fiberglass or all
steel, cheap steel will bend and wood breaks to easy.

Now if you have money to burn a John Deer tractor or a Bobcat.... Sweet !

I appreciate the reply. A good Ole shovel is still the way. I saw two good
ones at Home Depot. The broad forks look cool . With two handles, but I
wasn't sure it would break or not.