Old 22-01-2011, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Doing Our Bit for the Environment

Jake wrote in
:

I'm sure all gardeners try and do their bit for the environment. I
find it a bit galling when, having given myself a hernia picking the
weighty editions of The Garden and Gardeners' World from my doormat
this morning, it turns out that the magazines weigh 500 grams and the
junk put in with them (excluding the RHS Handbook and the GW seeds
that is) adds up to 450 grams.

Yep! I was silly enough to actually weigh the junk before consigning
it all to my recycling bin, unread.

I suppose publishers will argue that the advertising subsidises the
magazine cost but there must be an impact on postage costs given the
almost doubling of the weight. And don't these magazines go on
regularly about trying to reduce waste ....

Rant over.

Cheers

Jake

I feel your rant.
Buying from Unwins, Thompson&Morgan and the like are SOOO expensive and the
results from your observations are more than likely contributing.
I suppose there is a limit what you can compost and with all the extra
packaging we get, and with foods too!
We get a free newspaper(which is OK) but it is stuffed inside with
advertising garbage too. Local kebab, Chinese, Indian takeaway literature,
plus a few scratch cards and the local builders who are really cowboys so
therefore have to vent leaflets. etc. etc.
Sometime in the near future I hope all of these methods and practices will
be made illegal.

I got back home on Wednesday from a visit to Syria, and you should see how
some of those people have to live in all but Damascus.
Ar-Raqqah is typical, no paper to write on, no pen to write with and many
of them have no school, dress in rags and rely on the Brits and US to
survive. Some of them fled from Jordan and Lebanon years ago to make a new
life. To what?

Baz