Old 22-01-2011, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default old philadelphus

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
writes
My experience with my philadelpus was that it flowered on old wood.
After
it was cut off at ground level by my neighbour it took a while for it to
make shoots anyway and didn't flower on them until the following year.
It was a really big one and I was surprised it recovered at all.

Oh well mine I take off all the shoots that have flowered straight after
flowering and then prune back any overlarge ones and i get lots of flowers
every year./ BUT like i said before, i have it by the front door and keep
it to about 4 foot high and no more than 2 or three foot wide.
Maybe I am not taking off all the flowering wood? It seems to grow a lot
between now and flowering it's "Virginal" which can get quite large if
left.

I think mine was Virginal too.

Can I ask you about Dalmatians?
When I was a child my friend's mother had a nice bitch which she decided to
have one litter from.
She used a dog called (IIRC) Ch Kurnool Echelon, a liver dog. Have you
heard of him?
I'm a whippet person myself, I showed and bred and am researching a 16
generation pedigree from my first beloved one.
I've got quite lot completed.

Tina