Old 23-01-2011, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Carol Klein

On 2011-01-22 19:07:13 +0000, Chris J Dixon said:

Sacha wrote:

We really enjoy her programme. She has such a good eye for colour and
form but without being all airy-fairy about it. It's such a relief to
watch *one* person doing what they're good at and explaining it easily,
as they go along.

I have to say that I have enjoyed these programmes more than I
had expected. Perhaps it is all down to different producers. If
she is allowed to perform naturally, she is fine, but I feel that
on GW (especially during 2009) or Chelsea, they seem to have
encouraged excessive animation. It isn't necessary.

Chris

Carol IS animated in an entirely natural way. She is just as she is in
the programme about her own garden. I am not claiming to know her
but I've met her with Ray, at a couple of shows and we've been to her
garden and chatted to her there several years ago. What you see really
is what you get, imo, In fact, watching the programme, I remarked to
Ray that the real woman was coming through. She's not bland, or
'considered' but she IS passionate and knowledgeable. I'm an amateur
gardener who happened to marry a nurseryman so I look at all these
things from two points of view, mine and my husband's. Both of us like
what she's doing in her own programme and I really can't say more than
that. I think it's one of the best programmes on gardening on tv at the
moment. I'm the amateur, Ray is the professional but I think it's
fair to say that we agree on that. In our own way, each of us is
critical of gardening programmes and to this day, I think we look at
them differently - and the same. I'm influenced by being married to a
professional but always I think as a 'normal' gardener, that has never
left me.

A year or so ago she spoke to the Bath Botanical Society. No notes no
slides, just straight, lively talking about her life and love of
gardening. She'sa real gardener.

Pam in Bristol