Old 23-01-2011, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hi im new :-) and fairly new to gardening :-S

In message , Sacha
writes

On 2011-01-22 12:25:01 +0000, floydie-pink
said:

We have moved house last september and have a faily dececnt sized
front
and back garden snip
This is a British centred gardening group so we may not be able to
help
you in any sensible fashion. Where you have a 'yard', we have
gardens. I hope this helps you to find a group that might be of more
use to you.

Sacha - a quick check indicates that the OP is in South Yorkshire.
Jake

So it seems - the use of 'yard' sounded American. It's not unknown for
people to wander in and find they've lost the way!

When I was a kid the concreted area outside the kitchen window was
referred to as the yard. Yard=garden is an Americanism, but yard as
distinct from garden isn't.

He said yard area, in a context where he was not equating it with the
garden as a whole.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley