Old 23-01-2011, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Hi im new :-) and fairly new to gardening :-S

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 14:23:36 +0000, floydie-pink
wrote:

Hi im from yorksire, the yard is just a term we use up here to refer to
the concreat area by our back door (or backs as some people call them).
I am new to gardening and im unsure if this was the right place to post
as you refer to "news group" i thought this was a forum my appoligies.

Hi F-P-.

You cam here through Garden Banter and I guess you didn't read the
info that's buried there. I visited GB for the first time today (to
discover where you were from) and must admit that I won't bother
again. This isn't because I can't be bothered but rather because the
way Garden Banter presents things is, for me, confusing and difficult
to work through.

GB is, I suppose, a Forum. It's paid for by advertising (which is why
you see so much of it). But when you send something to the UK
Gardening area, GardenBanter's system simply sends it on to something
called "USENET" and it comes through to something called a "NEWSGROUP"
which is, in this case, us. If you don't understand the words in CAPS,
type them into your search engine and you'll find out.

Anyhow, here we are in the UK.REC.GARDENING NEWSGOUP looking at a post
from someone called floydie-pink. I've told the group you're in South
Yorkshire (though if I hadn't made a one off visit to GB we would not
have known). Where you are is important. There are things that can
grow in the warmer down-south places which won't grow up-North. It can
also help to know which direction your bit of ground faces. There are
plants that will grow happily in a west facing garden but which can be
destroyed by the morning sun in an east facing one.

And there's a major debate going on - are you a him or a her? We're
not sexist; just nice to know!

So please come back and tell us a bit more about yourself. Once we
know all the ins and outs of your bit of land, you'll find we're all
ready to help.

Are you planning to lift the pavers for example? Do you want to grow
vegetables or just flowers? How much time do you have to devote to the
garden? There are high maintenance and low maintenance gardens.

It's over to you. We're all waiting.

Cheers
Jake