Old 23-01-2011, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I am new to gardening with Bulbs can you help a newcomer ?

On 23/01/2011 09:26, Bob Hobden wrote:

"darren30" wrote

I have just purchased some bulbs and I am looking for some advice as to
how to plant them. size of container, width apart e.t.c

The problem is sometimes I try to add to many bulbs to a container and
in the end nothing much comes about.

Please can you offer some advice as to how I can mix and match the bulbs
below to ensure a positive outcome.

I am a keen learner when it comes to gardening, and I know when to admit
defeat therefore, my flag is raised and any help the more experienced
people can give me would be greatly received.

The bulbs I have purchased a
Dutch Iris; Lupins; Asaitic Lilies; Peony; Lupin; Dahlias; Bleeding
Heart; Sea holly; Ismene Festalis

Only the first and last are bulbs, the rest are herbaceous plants and
things like Peony hate being moved and can take years to flower so are
certainly not much good in a pot.

So Asiatic lilies and Dahlias are herbaceous plants, Bob? Looks like
the OP isn't the only one new to gardening. ;-)

Now I know you've been posting for here for a long time, but that wasn't
a very friendly or helpful reply to a newcomer. For most people new to
gardening, and however inaccurate it is, bulbs, corms, tubers, etc are
one and the same thing.

--

Jeff