Old 23-01-2011, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I am new to gardening with Bulbs can you help a newcomer ?

On 22/01/2011 17:10, darren30 wrote:
I have just purchased some bulbs and I am looking for some advice as to
how to plant them. size of container, width apart e.t.c

The problem is sometimes I try to add to many bulbs to a container and
in the end nothing much comes about.

Please can you offer some advice as to how I can mix and match the bulbs
below to ensure a positive outcome.

I am a keen learner when it comes to gardening, and I know when to admit
defeat therefore, my flag is raised and any help the more experienced
people can give me would be greatly received.

The bulbs I have purchased a

Dutch Iris

Lupins

Asaitic Lilies

Peony

Lupin

Dahlias

Bleeding Hart

Sea holly

Ismene Festalis

These are not all bulbs, but let's not worry about that. First thing
you need to be aware of is that Ismene festalis is not hardy, and if it
is in a pot kept outside (particularly in the sort of winter we've just
had) it will die.

With the Iris, lilies, and dahlias it is best to have a free-draining
compost (this is true of most plants with underground storage organs).
Any quality compost from a garden centre should fit the bill (see
comment about lilies below). Make sure that the flower pot drainage
holes aren't blocked.

The other plants will also grow well in the same compost, but sea holly
would do well in the compost if some extra sand is added to improve
drainage. It also has deep roots, so a tall pot would be better.

The general rule with true bulbs is to plant them as deep as the bulb is
long. So if a bulb is 5cm long, plants it with its tip 5cm below the
surface. I would plant them one bulb width apart. This should ensure
good flowering for a couple of years, but eventually they will get too
crowded and you will have to repot. If you have enough bulbs of the
iris, plant a layer at double depth. These will take longer to flower,
so after the top layer has finished flowering, the deeper layer will start.

Lilies usually don't like being too wet, so some people plant them on a
small bed of sand in a pot. Generally 3 bulbs in a 20 cm pot is enough.
Some lilies form roots at the bottom of their stems, so are planted
deeper (I do not know if your bulbs need deep planting). Some lily
stems are quite long, and need staking. Put the stakes in when you put
the bulbs in, or you are likely to push the stakes through the bulbs,
which won't do them any good! On other point - if you live in the South
of England you are on a hiding to nothing growing lilies. There is a
pest called Lily Beetle which can sniff lilies out miles away. Some
lilies are more resistant than others to this pest. I hope that yours are!

Peonies could be flowered in large pots (45+ cm), but are better in open
ground. Whatever you decide, they take some time to flower, and if you
plant them too deeply to begin with, they will almost certainly never
flower.

I am sure others will have some advice for you. There is also a lot of
information on the internet, and you could do a lot worse than joining
your local horticultural society to get useful advice.

--

Jeff