Old 23-01-2011, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default I am new to gardening with Bulbs can you help a newcomer ?

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 17:10:08 +0000, darren30
wrote:

I have just purchased some bulbs and I am looking for some advice as to
how to plant them. size of container, width apart e.t.c

The problem is sometimes I try to add to many bulbs to a container and
in the end nothing much comes about.

Please can you offer some advice as to how I can mix and match the bulbs
below to ensure a positive outcome.

I am a keen learner when it comes to gardening, and I know when to admit
defeat therefore, my flag is raised and any help the more experienced
people can give me would be greatly received.

The bulbs I have purchased a

Dutch Iris

Lupins

Asaitic Lilies

Peony

Lupin

Dahlias

Bleeding Hart

Sea holly

Ismene Festalis

Ooooh Eck! Darren. You've asked your question via Garden Banter (GB).
FWIW, the GB system which is, I suppose a forum, is an advertising
thing. When you post a question to GB, it simly sends it on to
something called USENET and hence to the UK.REC.GARDENING NEWSGROUP.
If you don't understand the bits in capitals, type them into your
search engine or go back to Garden Banter and check there. Meanwhile,
GB will happily accept your questions, send them on to us and earn
income from advertising. Maybe you'll realise now why we in the
newsgroup don't like Garden Banter.

Anyhow. You've supposedly bought some what you call bulbs. Not all
what you call bulbs are bulbs. Sea Holly isn't for example. Dahlias
aren't exactly "bulbs". But there are dahlias and dahlias. I grow
Dahlias from tubers (not bulbs) in the ground each year. I also grow
bedding dahlias which I shove into baskets and tubs. At the end of the
year the tubers which the bedding dahlias have created are stored and
planted out somewhere else next year and I get new bedding dahlias. So
you see there's more to this than you think.

Lupins are definitely not bulbs. Neither are peonies, or bleeding
heart. These are probably "bare roots" at this time of year. You need
to get them into the ground (or into pots to grow on in a cold frame)
quickly. I've given up on lupins as whatever I try the local slug
population gets there first. But, getting back to basics, you don't
grow lupins, peonies or bleeding heart in tubs! They're ground plants.

So get back to us with some more info - where are you (what you can
grow depends on where you are in the UK), what's your soil like -
heavy clay, sandy, acidic , alkaline? and are you really only looking
to fill tubs (there are tub plants and ground plants you know!),
what's your garden like (if you've only got a balcony or courtyard
type place we'll be wasting our time suggesting plants for a larger
area).

Then maybe you'll get some worthwhile answers.