Old 23-01-2011, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Early Potatoes

"Judith" wrote ...

Can people say what their favourite earlies and second earlies are and
when they plant them please.

(I will be growing in containers if it makes any difference.)

The problem is that potatoes seem to grow differently depending on soil
type, for example King Edwards grow well on sandy soil but hate clay,
International Kidney taste fantastic if grown with seaweed manure but quite
different grown in normal soil. So someone's recommendation can only ever be
a pointer from which to experiment yourself.
Earlies we are still experimenting with to find ones we like that grow well
on our soil, this year we are trying Bell de Fontenay and Charlotte just to
see, so no recommendation.
Second early, we only grow Kestrel.

--
Regards