Old 24-01-2011, 01:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DogDiesel DogDiesel is offline

Default New garden tools.

"Baz" wrote in message
"DogDiesel" wrote in
:

"Nad R" wrote in message
"DogDiesel" wrote:
Hello,
I've ordered a soil test kit and a Stirrup hoe. I bought a rake,
I've
yet
to setup my compost bin.

I'm trying to figure whats better for turning soil about a foot
down.
The top 6 inches or so have been tilled . Underneath is hard packed.
Should I get a digging fork , broadfork, or a shovel. I don't want
to break
the tool. I saw narrow long shovels in Home Depot today.

Thanks Diesel.

Pointy Shovel for turning soil a foot deep.
Transfer Shovel for moving soil or finished compost.
Garden rake with a one side that is flat for leveling soil.
Six or more prong Manure forks are best for turning a compost pile.
Broad fork is a luxury item if you have lots of soil to turn that is
already loose.
A "half moon" edging tool is a nice tool for creating a nice sharp
looking boarder.

As for breaking tools I find wood is worse. I prefer fiberglass or
all steel, cheap steel will bend and wood breaks to easy.

Now if you have money to burn a John Deer tractor or a Bobcat....
Sweet !

I appreciate the reply. A good Ole shovel is still the way. I saw two
good ones at Home Depot. The broad forks look cool . With two
handles, but I wasn't sure it would break or not.

I bought a Wilkinsons spade a few years ago when I started gardening.
It has a tubular metal shaft and have used it like a crowbar to lift
large roots from trees I have felled and it is as good as new. I have put
all my weight into it, bounced on it. Still as new.
If you buy a spade like this, make sure it is all one piece and not
joined with rivets if it is going to take the work I describe.
A fork is different, as you know, because it does not matter how strong
the shaft is, the tines will bend with too much pressure.

Baz

It looks like im going to be shoveling dirt. I want to go a foot down and
turn it over. Mix in my straw and some peat and sand.