Old 24-01-2011, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Doing Our Bit for the Environment

In article , wrote:

But that wasn't really relevant to what I said, which was specifically about
signatures, and the bit about allowing advertising was a bit of an aside.

References to a gardening related business can be made in a
sig.file of no more than 4 lines.
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.gardening.html

*nod* That is typical. But more to the point, what is in the sig is
typically unrestricted, as long as it's separated properly, so it can be
stripped. Quotes, contact details, personal website, funky little ascii
drawings are all typical ...

That is a religious dogma. I could go into the history of how its
proponents got voted down, and then sneaked it into an RFC on
another topic entirely, but let's not. Anyway, it has never been
accepted.

The consensus for AT LEAST 30 years has been that any signatures
should be shortish, plain text using a basic character set and
with no lines longer than about 72 characters.

The consensus among the wider Email community from 40+ years ago
was (and, to a great extent, still is) that no text should include
control characters (including TAB) or syntactically significant
trailing spaces, as agents are liable to mishandle the former and
insert or remove the latter, unpredictably. And they do.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.