Old 24-01-2011, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Different soil in the garden

Baz wrote:
"DogDiesel" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
"DogDiesel" wrote in
:

Do any of you go as far as having different soil mixes for different
plants in the garden. ?

Diesel.

Yes,
For example people usually add manure/compost when planting potatoes,
add lime for bressicas etc.
Or have I got the question wrong? I often do.

Baz

Its all good, that's what I meant.

Diesel, nice I got it right,
What are you going to grow this year?
I'm no expert but there are loads here who know what to add and what not
to.
You could Google for answers but in my experience you will get lots of duff
advice from a few sites and then distrust everything you read!
I know you are not a rookie but you should, if you do not already, compost
everything you can, and take the time to look after it so that it will be
useful when it all rots down. Kitchen waste(not meat or anything cooked),
garden foliage including lawn mowings, leaves, cardboard, paper, cut
flowers, fruit you forgot to eat, veg in the fridge you let go soft and so
on are perfect. Not many people have chickens yet(give it a couple of years
and they will) but their droppings are very good for the compost heap.
DO NOT USE CAT OR DOG MUCK or any other meat eating animals muck. Yuk.
Apparently and of course they contain microbes harmful to some human
organs, mostly the eyes and liver.
I hope this has been helpful to you

Baz

For the vegetable gardens in raised beds and on the ground, I tend to have
a light looser soil that is at least a foot deep. For trees and shrubs I
tend to use the soil that is already there, mostly clay, but I do drill
holes at the drip line of the trees and shrubs for water and some
fertilizers. For containers that are outside I tend to use potting soil.
Soil that is near the base of my home is sandy for drainage.

Compost goes on everything except grass. I rob Peter ( grass clippings ) to
pay Paul the vegetable garden. Flower cuttings, kitchen scraps, Straw and
chicken poop goes in the compost as well. My lawn is not the best looking
in the world but slowly getting better. The veggies are tasty thou.