Old 24-01-2011, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Different soil in the garden

Nad R wrote in
:

For the vegetable gardens in raised beds and on the ground, I tend to
have a light looser soil that is at least a foot deep. For trees and
shrubs I tend to use the soil that is already there, mostly clay, but
I do drill holes at the drip line of the trees and shrubs for water
and some fertilizers. For containers that are outside I tend to use
potting soil. Soil that is near the base of my home is sandy for
drainage.

Compost goes on everything except grass. I rob Peter ( grass clippings
) to pay Paul the vegetable garden. Flower cuttings, kitchen scraps,
Straw and chicken poop goes in the compost as well. My lawn is not the
best looking in the world but slowly getting better. The veggies are
tasty thou.

You seem to have it all sorted, Nad.
Wish I had.

How did you start out? I mean from the start, from your idea to where you
are now.

Baz