Old 24-01-2011, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Different soil in the garden

Baz wrote:
Nad R wrote in
:

For the vegetable gardens in raised beds and on the ground, I tend to
have a light looser soil that is at least a foot deep. For trees and
shrubs I tend to use the soil that is already there, mostly clay, but
I do drill holes at the drip line of the trees and shrubs for water
and some fertilizers. For containers that are outside I tend to use
potting soil. Soil that is near the base of my home is sandy for
drainage.

Compost goes on everything except grass. I rob Peter ( grass clippings
) to pay Paul the vegetable garden. Flower cuttings, kitchen scraps,
Straw and chicken poop goes in the compost as well. My lawn is not the
best looking in the world but slowly getting better. The veggies are
tasty thou.

You seem to have it all sorted, Nad.
Wish I had.

How did you start out? I mean from the start, from your idea to where you
are now.

Baz

One note compost is good for the grass as well. Like I said I rob Peter to
Pay Paul.

I was born and raised in the city and hated everyone. I had a scientific
mind surrounded by ultra conservative Christian types. I moved to the
country 15 years ago and love it! My mind is at rest, no neighbors, few
problems, no hate. Sorta like the show green acres.

My first attempts at gardening were a disaster. Nothing grew well and I
wanted a nice looking yard and Garden. At first I went to the books, they
were very helpful, but books are too generalized. I took what I thought was
best. Also here and there Internet was useful. Then after time I learned
about the Master Gardener Volunteer program that is offered in many states.
The Master Gardener program is an excellent way for the beginner to average
gardener to greatly advance their skills.
The ten week class cost me about $250 US and 40 additional hours of
volunteer time in the community. The class came with an excellent set of
books that was specific to my area in which I live in.

To find such a program Google, " Master Gardener Volunteer Program " with
your state and see what comes up.

I do not have all my act together. In My book, gardening is mostly art with
a little of science thrown in. Those with university degrees in
Horticulture or Agriculture are far far more advanced than I am. My yard is
not a picture perfect yard like in Martha Stewart or garden Magazines. I do
not have fancy brick paved paths or perfectly manicured shrubs. Mine is
more functional than beautiful. It took years to get where I am at. Money
is also tight, so I only add a little here and little there over the years.
Nothing went in all at once.

http://www.nadrhel.com/Summer.html