Old 24-01-2011, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Different soil in the garden

In article ,
Baz wrote:

"DogDiesel" wrote in
:

Do any of you go as far as having different soil mixes for different
plants in the garden. ?

Diesel.

Yes,
For example people usually add manure/compost when planting potatoes, add
lime for bressicas etc.
Or have I got the question wrong? I often do.

Baz

http://fieldcrop.msu.edu/documents/E2893.pdf

Adding manure directly before planting can
increase risk of disease, such as common scab
(Streptomyces scabie) in potato. Consider carefully
manure effects and disease potential before
incorporating manure in the spring. Composted
manure will generally be much safer and
reduce disease risk.
--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²