Old 24-01-2011, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Different soil in the garden

Nad R wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
Nad R wrote in
:

For the vegetable gardens in raised beds and on the ground, I tend
to have a light looser soil that is at least a foot deep. For trees
and shrubs I tend to use the soil that is already there, mostly
clay, but I do drill holes at the drip line of the trees and shrubs
for water and some fertilizers. For containers that are outside I
tend to use potting soil. Soil that is near the base of my home is
sandy for drainage.

Compost goes on everything except grass. I rob Peter ( grass
clippings ) to pay Paul the vegetable garden. Flower cuttings,
kitchen scraps, Straw and chicken poop goes in the compost as well.
My lawn is not the best looking in the world but slowly getting
better. The veggies are tasty thou.

You seem to have it all sorted, Nad.
Wish I had.

How did you start out? I mean from the start, from your idea to where
you are now.

Baz

One note compost is good for the grass as well. Like I said I rob
Peter to Pay Paul.

I was born and raised in the city and hated everyone. I had a
scientific mind surrounded by ultra conservative Christian types. I
moved to the country 15 years ago and love it! My mind is at rest, no
neighbors, few problems, no hate. Sorta like the show green acres.

My first attempts at gardening were a disaster. Nothing grew well and
I wanted a nice looking yard and Garden. At first I went to the books,
they were very helpful, but books are too generalized. I took what I
thought was best. Also here and there Internet was useful. Then after
time I learned about the Master Gardener Volunteer program that is
offered in many states. The Master Gardener program is an excellent
way for the beginner to average gardener to greatly advance their
skills. The ten week class cost me about $250 US and 40 additional
hours of volunteer time in the community. The class came with an
excellent set of books that was specific to my area in which I live
in.

To find such a program Google, " Master Gardener Volunteer Program "
with your state and see what comes up.

I do not have all my act together. In My book, gardening is mostly art
with a little of science thrown in. Those with university degrees in
Horticulture or Agriculture are far far more advanced than I am. My
yard is not a picture perfect yard like in Martha Stewart or garden
Magazines. I do not have fancy brick paved paths or perfectly
manicured shrubs. Mine is more functional than beautiful. It took
years to get where I am at. Money is also tight, so I only add a
little here and little there over the years. Nothing went in all at
once.

http://www.nadrhel.com/Summer.html