Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Pete in the Colorado Mtns

Default 5300k,6400k,10000k???

Many thanks for the reply -

Forgot to mention that I also have a Coralife Actinic bulb that came
with the (used) hood I bought a couple years ago. It's labeled as 7100K
(FR40-T12-360-BP), and it was *BLUE*. I don't use it any more because
it was almost like having a blacklite in the tank - very intense blue
cast. Is a 10000K bulb going to be even 'bluer' than the actinic, or is
the actinic a special kind of bulb that is just super blue in color?

The 6500K bulb (nice and white)I have now is nowhere even a tiny bit
close to the color of the 7100K actinic (BLUE), which is why I wonder if
the 'actinic' is a special kind of bulb whose to-the-human-eye color
doesn't match to the kelvin temp scale the way one would expect...

Just showing my ignorance here ...

pete

LeighMo wrote:
I have a 5000K and a 6500K bulb, and the 6500K is 'whiter' than the
5000K (which has more of a yellowish cast). What 'color' is a 10000K
bulb (or 9600K)?

Generally speaking, the higher the number, the cooler (bluer) the light looks.
10000K is a very "white" looking light. Some people like that cool,
super-bright look, but others complain that it makes reds look pale and
washed-out.

Leigh

pete

"It is unwise to insult a doughnut be refusing to eat it."