Old 25-01-2011, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Donwill[_2_] Donwill[_2_] is offline

Default Is My Torbay Palm Dead ??

On 1/24/2011 8:38 PM, Simmo wrote:
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could help with this?

I have a Torbay Palm which seems to have struggled during the freezing
conditions ..

Normally the lower leaves will dry out and fall off which obviously
forms the 'trunk' of the plant as they do so. The new leaves are all
stiff, healthy and the newest ones are pointing skywards ..

My poor palm is now just a mass of limp leaves and they are all drooping
downwards .. I have noticed that quite a few of these in neighboring
gardens are exactly the same as mine too.

Can anyone offer any advice here as it would be a real shame to lose the
poor thing .. It is now about 9 years old and was doing really well
until now ..

I was wondering if I need to remove all of the obviously dead leaves
(which could possibly just leave me a trunk!)

Or .. do I just leave it alone to see what happens ?

Thanks very much.

Dave.

Is that the same as Cordyline Australis? if so, then I have a similar
problem with 3 x 30yr old trees, I had a recorded -13.5 deg C on one
night in December which probably finished them off. I expect them to
regrow from the base. Here is a pix of two of them before the bad weather.
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...arden005-1.jpg
Bye
Don