Old 25-01-2011, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default OT but newsgroup /Demon related

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Alan
writes
As 99.99% of people don't know how to cross post, except the spammers,
blocking (killing) cross posted articles is a good way of cutting down
the spam in newsgroup posts.

In Turnpike:
To kill crossposted article the rule is /^Newsgroups:.*,/h

No reading the headers they do seem to be coming from Turnpike for some
reason - however after three days of them (mostly in Russian or at
least characters instead of letters) they have now stopped. Very
strange, they did not come via email but from my newsgroups receiver,
yet they came to my email window NOT the newsgroup one!

As you surmise, the email are from Turnpike, effectively sending them to
itself, hence why they don't appear in Mailwasher. IIRC normally
Turnpike does this when you try to post a message to a newsgroup you
aren't subscribed to, or if you receive messages for a group you aren;'t
subscribed too somehow.. So it effectively send the message back to you.
It doesn't appear in a newsgroup, because it has no newsgroup to put
them in.

I'm guessing some weirdness with the news serer is at the root of this,
possibly it was sending messages to turnpike that weren't for a
subscribed group, Turnpike then sends them via email to you

--
Chris French