Old 25-01-2011, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Early Potatoes

In message , Baz
writes
Gopher wrote in
:

Apologies for digression/interrupting this dialogue however while
still on the subject of first early potatoes I seem to recall that a
few months ago Rusty posted something about multi-layer planting of
first earlies which could be applicable in my veg plot.

Senior Management recently bought 6 large plastic waste bins (black in
colour with rocking tops) at one of the supermarkets, for 50p each.
She presented them to me indicating that perhaps I could use them for
growing first earlies. They are c. 3 ft high (the type that are found
in offices, canteens etc.) and could be good for this purpose. All
they need is some drainage holes - easily enough drilled.

However, I appear not to have retained Rusty's post in which he/she
described multi-layer planting as a practical way of using a container
to maximum benefit. I assume that all planting is done at once with,
say, 3 seed potatoes planted c. 1 ft from the bottom, followed by
successive layers (say up to total 3) planted at 9 inch intervals. If
Rusty (or anyone else) would care to comment on the above I'd be
hugely grateful. It sounds an interesting way of maximising production
while using minimal space and I need to use these bins for something
other than prize parsnips or carrots :-))

Gopher, I read somewhere, (it might be Rusty's post but can't remember)
you plant a few seed potatoes on top of 12" of compost in the bottom of
the container and when they grow to 4-6" put more compost on top of them
to cover them up and plant a few more. Continue this until you are a few
inches from the top of the container and water regularly.

OR as above but only plant the bottom few seed potatoes and keep adding
compost as you see the foliage peeping through. Similar I think to
earthing them up in the traditional way but much deeper because the
container is in your case 3'. The idea here I think is that as the haulms
grow and are covered they make more 'shoots' to produce more spuds.

Hope you can understand my explaination, it's never been one of my good
points.

Baz

Thank you Baz .... that's more or less as I recall it so, although I
think Rusty's method was the first you mention, the second makes sense
too; therefore, I think I'll try both to see what happens. And keep up
your explanations.... this one is perfectly understandable:-))
Thanks again.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!