Old 25-01-2011, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline

Default zone 5, what to do with south side house?

I like the grape idea. I've already tried blueberries, and it hasn't
worked out. Perhaps I need to start out with adult sized, 3 or 4 year
old plants, and transplant them. In any case, this is the second time
I've tried blueberries, in 2 different parts of Ohio, and they have died
both times.

I already have 1 pear tree with 5 fruit varieties on it, 2 hale haven
peach trees, a nectarine and a plum. I don't think there is really room
for another fruit tree in the area, because I would need to plant it
close (right on, really) to the property line, and the neighbor would
not like it because that would be pretty close to the gate he used to go
between his fenced back yard and his front yard.

So, I am limited to perhaps planting something small right up against
the house, and maybe a row of something out closer to the property line.
Either or, or perhaps both, if both plants are pretty orderly and not
sprawling.

I like the idea of grapes, because I've always wanted to grow them,
and I've seen that they can be pretty productive. How long does it take
to get a harvest from them?

Other ideas I've had are rhubarb or everbearing raspberries, such as
heritage. Anyone have thoughts on these? My parents always got a good
harvest off of the rhubarb, and never have to put any time into them,
other than good soil preparation up front, with some cow manure at the
bottom of the deep pits.