Old 25-01-2011, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default zone 5, what to do with south side house?

Ohioguy wrote:
-snip-

Other ideas I've had are rhubarb or everbearing raspberries, such as
heritage. Anyone have thoughts on these?

IMO rhubarb would do better on the north or east side. it doesn't
like the heat. I never had any luck with raspberries at all, but it
seems like they might be better suited.

My parents always got a good
harvest off of the rhubarb, and never have to put any time into them,
other than good soil preparation up front, with some cow manure at the
bottom of the deep pits.

Mine grows on an abandoned compost bed - only gets 5-6 hours of sun a
day, and stays fairly moist. it thrives through July- then sort of
peters off & gets tough.

Jim