Old 25-01-2011, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default zone 5, what to do with south side house?

Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-

IMO rhubarb would do better on the north or east side. it doesn't
like the heat. I never had any luck with raspberries at all, but it
seems like they might be better suited.

-snip-

Just wondering how you harvest it. Do you pull it or cut it?

Pull! I start to pull as soon as the plant is putting out stalks
bigger than a pencil. These have been producing for 15 yrs or so-
so even the first spring stalks are plenty big.

I pull seed stalks, too- and discard them.

Probably not the best practice-- but I trim the leaves on the spot and
mulch with them. Every 4-5 yrs I might remember to feed them. They
get covered with 5-6' of hard packed snow through the winter as they
are to the side of the turn-around that gets all the snow blown to it.

Jim