Old 25-01-2011, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gz Gz is offline

Default Planting Soil...

On Jan 8, 2:37*pm, Oren wrote:
Hello,

I live in Southern Nevada (Mojave Desert) USDA Zone 8a.

This is a difficult place to grow a garden, but yesterday I found some
information that got me excited about growing tomatoes. The lady has a
book with many details for growing in the harsh desert.

Our soil here is hard packed, plenty of rock and difficult to grow
anything.

Reading on I found out that some soils are made with "biosolids"
(sewer sludge). *From my reading it was pointed out that this
information is not unnecessarily reported to the consumer. Apparently
this is some "nasty" stuff to be growing food crops in, since it
contains things that are not removed at the sewer treatment plants.*

Questions: *What can I use and combine to make my own soil? *Are there
products that I can use to ensure the soil is safe?

Thank You.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sludge#Biosolids

That very fine sand that makes the ground so hard can be
broken up with thicker sand particles. Keep mixing things in
and you will have good soil.

There is heavy metals in sludge and sometimes you
will find tomatoes seeds growing in it at the plant. Also marijuana.

greg